1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
- Got married! That was a first for me.
- I went to the Carribbean (for our honeymoon). I’ve been overseas before, but I’d never been to the Carribbean (unless you count the Florida Keys).
- I went to a farmer’s market, and got a crop share.
- I broke my ankle (and subsequently got a blood clot from the immobilization) – which was the first major bone I’ve broken (fingers and toes don’t count)
- Started blogging!
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t ever really make resolutions, because people never seem to stick to them. I do feel like I was overall healthier this year though (exercise and food-wise). I have also tried to take control of our finances and create a long-term plan for us.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not yet, but a couple people I know are ready to pop! One (well, the wife of a friend of mine) is currently in the hospital and was induced yesterday.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully, not this year. There were a couple close calls though.
5. What places did you visit?
- Venice, Florida
- St. Lucia (awesome!)
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
- Defined goals (see my 101 in 1001 list!)
- A long-term financial plan (almost there)
- A year of good health!
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
- January 20th – Obama’s inauguration
- April 11th – The day my ankle was broken in a rugby tournament
- May 20th – The day the cast came off!
- August 22nd – Our wedding
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Planning our wedding – it was just myself and my mom. And I can confidently say that I wouldn’t have changed a thing!
9. What was your biggest failure?
My failed attempt at starting my own wedding planning business. It’s something I hope to pick back up later, but about two weeks after I got everything rolling I found out that I’ll be creating and teaching my own Volcanology course this summer. I’ve never taught this before (it’s my specialty), and I’ve never created a course from scratch before. So that’s going to take up a good chunk of my time this spring and early summer. So unfortunately, after spending about $1,000 on startup stuff, I had to put it on hold. I felt so guilty.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
HA! April 11th my ankle was broken in a rugby tournament. I then got a blood clot because of the cast and had to take blood thinners for MONTHS. I have a clean bill of health now!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
It’s a toss-up…
- My Ipod Touch
- My new running shoes (I went and got fitted at a specialty running store – I HIGHLY recommend this!!!) and superfeet insoles
- Our treadmill
- My Nike+ sensor
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband – he always tries to support me and listen to me when I’m upset/frustrated.
13. Where did most of your money go?
- Our wedding and honeymoon
- RUNNING (odd that it can be so expensive…)
14. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- My wedding planning business
- Our new Etsy page (coming soon! ThreeToGetReady.Etsy.com)
- Finding my “style” in jewelry-making
15. What song will always remind you of 2009?
- “You’re Nobody Till Somebody Loves You” (Dean Martin) – our wedding song
- “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” (Israel Kamakawiwo’ole)
- “Say Hey (I Love You)” (Michael Franti)
16. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Overall, I think happier. I feel like I got a lot of things straightened out this year, and I have good, solid goals and plans for the future.
b) thinner or fatter?
Probably about the same. Maybe a little heavier. I’m really not bad, but I want to tone more. I feel jiggly.
c) richer or poorer?
Richer – getting married does that.
17. What do you wish you’d done more of?
18. What do you wish you’d done less of?
- Worrying about every little thing that doesn’t go exactly to plan
- Obsessing about my body – it’s fine the way it is!
19. How did you spend Christmas in 2009?
We drove to Florida with the dog and stayed at my parents new house (they just moved down there in September). We went to the dog beach a couple times, and Magic Kingdom (weird going as an adult), and out to dinner. My husband played golf with my dad a couple times too.
20. Did you fall in love in 2009?
No new loves, unless you count running and jewelry-making!
21. What was your favorite TV program?
Oh my… we watch too much TV…
- The Office
- Dirty Jobs
- Storm Chasers
- The Amazing Race
- The Biggest Loser
- So You Think You Can Dance
22. What did you do for your birthday in 2009?
I honestly don’t remember… Oh that’s bad.
23. What was the best book you read?
Hmm… “Intuitive Eating” was pretty great (book review coming soon).
24. What did you want and get?
- The go-ahead to create my own volcanology course. That wasn’t supposed to happen for a couple more years!
- A Netflix account!
25. What did you want and not get?
A raise. But we knew that wasn’t going to happen this year. It’s alright… eventually it’ll balance out. I’m just happy I have a job and it’s a job that I love!
26. What was your favorite film of the year?
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince – I am a Harry Potter-a-holic
27. Did you make some new friends this year?
Hmm… not any actual NEW friends, but I got closer to some aquaintances.
28.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Buying a house. But it wasn’t the right time for us.
29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
- What I was going for: Affordable, classy, semi-trendy, professional (I TEACH at a college and I often get asked if I am a PROSPECTIVE student. I need to update my wardrobe!!!)
- What I actually did: Affordable, college kid, with moments of professional/trendy
30. What kept you sane?
Running. I was only able to start back up again this fall after my ankle was all healed. But I find that my running time is my time to just relax and not think about the things that are bugging me.
31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
The Obamas – what great role models
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
- Obama’s inauguration
- Health care
- Same sex marriage
33. Who did you miss?
Teenage me would never believe that I would write this, but… My parents. We’ve gotten really close over the last few years. And now that they’ve moved to Florida (we used to be 30 minutes apart), I really miss them!
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
If something is bothering you, take the time to sit and think about what exactly, why, and what needs to happen/be done to make it NOT bother you. If it’s something in a relationship, talking calmly with the person can work wonders.
And you? If you have a blog and are answering these questions on it, please leave me a comment so I can read yours too.
*I got these questions from this blog.