So my husband FINALLY did it!  He got his ACL repaired yesterday.  He partially tore it playing football his senior year of high school.  They went in and scoped it out to fix it up, but he then went and tore it all the way in 2004 – once again, playing football, but this time just for fun.  Well, after he tore it in 2004, he never got it fixed again.  So he’s been on it for 6 years like that and had gotten to the point that he no longer HAD an ACL or meniscus, and now has minor arthritis in his knee from the instability.

He’s been unable to do so many things since the injury and had gotten to the point that he just accepted inactivity as part of life.  However, then I came along and screwed that all up.  There’s so many things we (some are just me) want to be able to do together – rollerblading, ice skating, skiing (I have to teach him), running (that’s the one that I want to do, but he’s not so sure of – ha!), and more hiking.  But without getting his knee fixed, those were never going to happen.  At 31 (and in generally good health), you really shouldn’t be so limited.

So he went in at 10:30am yesterday but didn’t get wheeled off to the operating room until 1pm.  I got to see him in the recovery room at 4pm (the surgery itself takes about an hour and a half).  And they wheeled him out to the car at 5:30pm.  It’s amazing they can do this, in and out, in one day.  We’re lucky he didn’t have to get this done 20 years ago.  I’m sure it was much worse then.

So now he’s in an immobilizer for a week and on crutches.  I kept warning him when I had my broken ankle that he better be nice to me because his turn would be coming soon.  Now it’s here!

So I’m keeping everything going around here – cleaning, cooking, taking the dogs out/walking/playing, etc.  It’s kind of nice because I feel like I never do this stuff normally.  I feel so domestic.

Anyway – here was dinner for tonight:

This was my first attempt at making soup from scratch (minus the vegetable broth).  It came out pretty decent!  It’s a work in progress…


  • About 5 red potatoes, cut into chunks
  • About 12 carrots, chopped (I used 12 because they were small)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 large leeks, chopped and rinsed (rinse AFTER chopping)
  • 6 cups vegetable broth
  • Oregano, thyme, basil, salt, bay leaves (3)
  • 1 bag egg noodles (no yolks)


  • Boil the potatoes and carrots (in enough water to cover them) until just beginning to soften
  • Add all other ingredients (except noodles) and let simmer
  • A few minutes before serving, add noodles and cook until tender

And of course, after I made it, my husband wasn’t hungry.  Now I have a TON left over.  The amount above would probably serve about 10-12.