I was so jazzed up from our family run last weekend and I was ready to get back into my training.  And then… BAM!  Strep.  I was out of commission for most of the week.  I spent Monday and Tuesday in MISERY.  I actually took naps on the couch in my office in between classes because I just felt like I had been hit by a truck or something.  I went to the doctor on Tuesday afternoon and got antibiotics.  And by Wednesday afternoon I already felt 75% better.  By Thursday, I was almost back to normal.

So today we had another family run.  My husband took the bike and I took one dog at a time, and got in 7.5 miles (4.5 miles for Rocket, and 3 miles for Jade).  I intended to finish up the second half of my planned 15 miles on the treadmill, but my knees had other ideas.  I suppose since I’ve been so sporadic the last couple weeks, I can’t expect my fitness level to stay up where it was.  Now I have to work back up to it.  Dang.

I must say that I am totally in love with these family runs.  It’s so fantastic to have my husband along with me when I run.  He can’t run right now because of his knee, but the bike is great for his rehab.  He acts as my “protector” and keeps me company.  Even though we live in a small and safe town, you can never be too careful.  Plus, today he helped keep away a loose dog that wanted to say hello to Rocket.  On top of that, it’s so fantastic to have something active that we can do together.  It’s the one thing that I’ve really wanted for us and we’ve had a hard time finding the right thing.  And now, with his knee repair, there should be a lot more opportunities for us to be active together.

So my training has really fallen to the wayside since the beginning of February when the semester started back up.  Well, actually, classes started back up in late January, but I did alright for the first week or two.  I was so stressed from trying to keep up with prepping for my classes, that when I would come home I would want nothing but to sit down and REST for a minute.  And then a minute would turn into an hour, which would turn into two, and then three, and then the next thing I knew, it was time to go to bed.

But tomorrow is a new day!

Whenever I’m dealing with a setback, I think it’s best to have some kind of plan.  It makes me figure out my goals, and how I am going to go about meeting them.

So here’s my plan:

  1. I will bring my running stuff to work this week.  This week is spring break, so I have a much more flexible schedule since there are no classes to teach.  A coworker of mine is also a runner and mentioned going for runs during the day.  So I’m game.
  2. I will take the dogs for a fun run when I get home. It’s supposed to be sunny and in the 50s and 60s every day this week except for Monday, so it will be beautiful weather for running with the dogs and my husband.
  3. I will check in on my blog each day. One word, ACCOUNTABILITY!  I hope any readers I have can help me with this one.  Are you out there?
  4. I will continue to work to find good breakfast options.  I’ve been working on this but am still having a tough time.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know!  My standard is just toast with a little bit of smart balance, but it’s SO BORING.  I need something that is quick and easy and keeps me full for a while.

So here’s what’s on my schedule for this week:

  • Monday – 3 miles
  • Tuesday – 4 miles
  • Wednesday – 5 miles
  • Thursday – 8 miles
  • Friday – 4 miles
  • Saturday – 16 miles

Total = 40 miles

It seems like a lot, but these will be broken up into lots of smaller segments (running at work, running with the dogs, etc.).  And hey, if I need to back off, I’ll back off.  We’ll see how it goes.  I hate the feeling that my marathon is creeping closer and closer and I am sitting here making excuses.  May 30th is a lot closer than it seems.

I saw a great quote somewhere yesterday:  You rarely regret the run you took.  You usually regret the run you didn’t take.