Tonight’s dinner was definitely a success!
Butternut Squash Quinoa with Carmelized Onions
- 1 cup quinoa (soak for a few minutes before cooking)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 butternut squash – cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 medium-sized onion – slice into thin strips
- 1 tbsp honey
- Into a saucepan, place the quinoa, water, ginger, nutmeg, and lemon juice – cover and cook over low heat until all liquid has been absorbed.
- In a separate skillet, saute the onions in olive oil until caramelized. Set aside.
- Add the squash to the now-empty skillet and stir occasionally. Saute squash until slightly browned and tender.
- Add the honey to the squash and stir to coat.
- Remove from heat and stir in the onions and quinoa.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
My husband’s comments while he was eating this:
- “Those onions really make it delicious!”
- “I love the flavor of the quinoa!”
- “See? Healthy can be tasty too!” (I don’t know why he was trying to convince me, but it was cute.)
Whenever we make a dinner, we always decide if it’s a “make-again” recipe. This one definitely was. It will also be leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Hooray!