I am super excited! I ordered The New Rules of Lifting for Women on Amazon a week or so ago and I just did my first workout this afternoon!
I’ve known for a long time that proper strength training was really a necessity for running well and running without injury. But I’ve never really liked lifting. I think that was mostly because I never had a plan, so I would just go into the weight room and do whatever I felt like or whatever was open. I also was never working toward something like a marathon. But now I have a goal, and I have a plan!
I was surprised at how quickly today’s workout went. I suppose since it’s the first stage, it will get longer from there. I’ll definitely be adding some weight the next time I go, but it was a good start.
- Squats – 2 sets, 15 reps; set 1 = 55 lbs (way too light!); set 2 = 65 lbs (still way too light)
- Push-ups – 2 sets, 15 reps
- Seated row – 2 sets, 15 reps; set 1 = 35 lbs (way too light); set 2 = 40 lbs (still too light)
- Step-ups – 2 sets, 15 reps (each leg); sets 1 and 2 = 30 lbs (pretty good weight)
- Prone jackknife – 2 sets, 15 reps
Today also marks the start of a new Nike+ challenge with the group I’m in. I got 3rd (out of 29) in the one that ended today. Hooray! I know it’s just a silly little Nike+ challenge, but I get pretty competitive about some things. Tonight I can get my first run of the new challenge in. I wouldn’t do both on the same day but since I started the lifting program today I need to switch some stuff around a little bit. I want to try to alternate lifting and running as much as possible so I don’t do it all on the same day.
Looking forward to workout #2 tomorrow!