So I finally got the kick in the butt I needed to get back into running regularly.  I realized this weekend that if I didn’t stick to my training plan starting NOW, I’d be risking injury and trouble by the time spring rolls around.

I know it sounds like it’s way too early to start training for a May 29th marathon.  Most training plans are 16 to 18 weeks long and it’s still 24 weeks away.  However, I’ll be spending three weeks in New Zealand (In three weeks!  Yay!) and will be repeating a few weeks of training when I get back.  Plus I haven’t run a heck of a lot since the Adirondack Marathon, so I need to get my base mileage back up to an acceptable level.

Hence why I’m at my getting-started-deadline.

This week was our last week of classes for the semester, so things were a bit hectic.  My runs got pushed back to the end of the week, but I still managed to fit them in.

Thursday I had a nice 3 mile run at 9:30/mile.  I’m trying to keep my pace on the shorter runs to under 10:00/mile because I really want to work on my speed.  However, I’m still getting back into the swing of things, so I need to start at a fairly comfortable “faster” pace.  I’ll pick it up as I go along.

Friday was a rest day because my department had an end of the semester gathering with foodstuffs and cake – which I happily partook in (My vegan cake and another faculty member’s vegetarian chili?  I’m there!).  By the time I got home I was full, and it was late.

Saturday was 6 miles at 9:52/mile.  Still in my sub-10:00/mile range, but slightly slower.  I pushed hard for the last mile and increased my pace every tenth of a mile until I was flat out sprinting at the end.  It was HARD.  But it felt good!

Tonight was supposed to be my long run of 9 miles, but partway in I realized that I was starting off with too much mileage and I should really do another 6 instead.  I don’t want to end up with an overuse injury.  I went there last year and it wasn’t fun at all.  So mid-run I changed plans.

Of course, then my husband appeared in the basement to inform me that our DVR wasn’t recording the season finale of Amazing Race – which I love.  Boo Time Warner!  So I jumped off the treadmill somewhere around 4 miles to run upstairs and at least catch the last 10 minutes and see who won.  I’ll finish the other couple miles (and perhaps a few extra) tomorrow night.  Not ideal, but I love Amazing Race and I was not happy about the DVR suddenly deciding not to record it.

Overall, a good week.  I’m glad I’m back on track and running regularly again.  It’s so easy to let other things get in the way, or to stay cuddled up with the dogs under the blanket on the couch, nice and warm.  But after a couple weeks, I’ll be back into a regular routine and then it won’t be so difficult to make myself get out from under that blanket.

Also, I may have bought myself one of these suckers to make myself do morning runs once the spring semester rolls around…

A clocky!

I’m thinking that not wanting the dogs to attack it as it jumps off my nightstand and runs away will make me get out of bed in the morning.  We’ll see.