Happy New Year!
I don’t like new year’s resolutions. I never have. Something about them (or maybe that term) really irks me. I do like goals, however. And I really like setting some goals for the upcoming year.
My 2011 Goals
1. Begin working on my Ph.D. – This year I will be writing my research proposal, starting fieldwork and gathering data, and beginning to process said data. It’s a lot to do, but I’m really looking forward to it.
2. Successfully advise an undergraduate senior thesis – I have my first student doing a research project with me and I really want to kick some volcano butt.
3. Update my wardrobe – Since I am a young geologist, I don’t have a ton of spare change floating around to spend on new clothes. And when you’re a geologist, people really don’t think anything of wearing casual clothes to work. However, I’m tired of people thinking I’m one of my students, and it’s about time I started dressing professionally. It’s not that big of a deal in my specific field, but it’s helpful in academia. Plus, I really like nice clothes.
Health and Fitness
4. Begin and complete the New Rules of Lifting for Women – As soon as I get back from New Zealand, it’s time to start lifting three times a week. The gym is closed while we’re on break, but I can’t wait to get back in there and get lifting again. I love how quickly I can see and feel a difference. And it’s going to make me a stronger and (hopefully) injury-free runner.
5. Swim two times a week – I really enjoy swimming laps and want to incorporate that into my training schedule as a cross training activity. I can’t wait for the pool to re-open!
6. Run injury-free! – In 2010, I learned a lot about how to train effectively – usually by doing the wrong thing :-). Now I can apply that knowledge and train properly. Here’s to an injury-free 2011!
7. Complete marathon #2 – I’m running the 2011 Buffalo Marathon this year and intend to beat my time from the 2010 Adirondack Marathon.
8. Run 1000 miles – I ran somewhere in the vicinity of 700 miles in 2010, and I have around 1400 planned for 2011 (marathon #2 and possibly ultramarathon #1). So I’m going to go with a reasonably attainable goal of 1000 miles for 2011.
9. Buy a house – We plan to buy our first house this spring and I can’t wait! I’ve been waiting to buy a house for years, but the time just wasn’t quite right before. But now we’re ready and really looking forward to making our first house our home.
10. Donate or sell things we don’t need or use – With the anticipation of purchasing our first house this spring, my husband and I are on a kick to get rid of the things we don’t need. We don’t want to be unnecessarily moving stuff, and we’d much rather they go to people who need them.
11. Continue cooking and experimenting in the kitchen – I’ve had so much fun cooking and trying new foods since I went vegan this past spring. I never liked to cook before, and now it’s one of my favorite things to do. I always follow recipes from other people, but in 2011, I’d really like to try making some recipes of my own.