It’s my veganiversary! It’s hard to believe it’s been a whole year since I made the switch from vegetarian to vegan. I’ve been in a real food rut since we moved into the new house at the beginning of April (empty fridge + house projects = no motivation to get groceries and toast with peanut butter for nearly every meal). But now seems like the perfect time to shake up my diet and try out some new recipes (and some old favorites, of course). When I first went vegan a year ago, I was so excited by all the great foods I was discovering. It’s time to rediscover that excitement.
I’ve felt inspired over the last few days to start incorporating some more beauty into my life. Everything has been very hectic over the last couple months with moving and setting up the new house, and then house projects getting underway. Many things have fallen by the wayside. But now I have a nice camera (thanks mom and dad!!!) and a house that actually has WINDOWS so there’s lots of natural light! So I think it’s time to start incorporating a bit more food porn into my blog. I know I really need to work on my photography, so it will be a learning experience. Bear with me.
So I’ve been exploring vegan food for one year… Here’s my favorite resources thus far:
I would make a list of my favorite recipes, but there’s been so many it’s hard to narrow it down. So here’s just a couple of the all-stars. These are things that have made their way into our regular dinner rotation:
- Lentil Walnut Burgers from Oh She Glows – #1 hands down winner in our house. We make a double batch every time and that never lasts longer than a couple days. Put half an avocado on top and you will be in heaven.
- “Crab” Cakes from The Post Punk Kitchen
- Spicy Tofu Pad Thai – my own creation
- Butternut Squash Risotto from Cooks Illustrated – not in our regular rotation, but an AMAZING special meal
- Sweet and Sour Tofu from Vegan Yum Yum
- Tamari Tofu Sandwich – no idea where this came from, but it’s my go-to lunch
- Sweet Chili Lime Tofu from Vegan Yum Yum
- Cranberry, Pear, and Candied Pecan Spinach Salad with Balsamic Dressing from Oh She Glows – BEST.SALAD.EVER.
And of course, some treats:
- Smlove Pie from Veganomicon – incredibly RICH, but OHSOGOOD
- Pumpkin Pecan Cinnamon Rolls from Oh She Glows – I made these for Christmas morning breakfast and just about died of happiness
- Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting – Our go-to cake for every event. Easy and delicious.
- Peanut Butter Cups from The Kind Diet – Total DROOL
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pillows from The Post Punk Kitchen – Most amazing cookies on the planet. Don’t make these for people unless you want them constantly stalking you for more for years to come. I’m speaking from experience (as both the stalker and the stalkee).
I’ve spent a year exploring vegan food so far and I have absolutely loved it. I’ve been surprised (initially) and thrilled with all the exciting foods that suddenly appeared in my world. Going vegan made me, a formerly VERY picky eater (just ask my mom), open my mind and try all sorts of things that I would never have touched in a million years. I’ve discovered lots of new favorite foods, and a few that I just plain don’t like (if anyone can make me like celariac, you win). I’ve really enjoyed my first year exploring vegan food, and I’m looking forward to many more!