Today was good.  I took one of my dogs to work with me (the other will go tomorrow – they can’t really go together without driving me nuts all day, but separately they’re angels) and all my students were having a great time cuddling with her.  She was having a blast.

I headed home in the afternoon and relaxed for a bit.  Once my husband got home we harnessed up the pack, grabbed his bike, and took off for a nice bike/run with the dogs.

It was so nice to just grab the dogs and head out the door.  I didn’t take any of my “gadgets” with me.  No garmin, no ipod (although I don’t really run with that anymore), nothing.  I felt very free.  I have a couple loops through our neighborhood that I know the general distance, and that’s all I really needed.  It was great to just start out with no goals or expectations for the run.  Often I get hung up on my pace, or the distance.  And this time I was just out for a nice comfortable run with my pups and my husband.  We talked as we went, telling each other about our days, and it was just a great time.

Since my pups haven’t been running in quite a while, I stopped and gave them three quick walk breaks (about 30 seconds each), but they had plenty of energy, so when they seemed alright, we would start running again.  Jade (my roughly 7 year old lab mix) did way better than I expected her to.  She hung in there the whole time, and even had a little burst of speed every time she saw a squirrel in front of her, or another dog, or my husband on his bike.  And of course, Rocket (our 2 1/2 year old border collie) wasn’t even phased.  It takes a LOT to get him tired.  But he was having a great time just trotting along with all of us, checking out the neighborhood.

We ended up running about 4 miles, and it was great.  I can’t wait to do it again tomorrow.

When we got home, I got the dogs a big tray of ice cubes (their favorite), and did my Crossfit for the night – a squat ladder.  My legs were a little tired from the hills in our neighborhood, so I didn’t get as far as I have in the past, but it was a good start.  It’s hard to push myself at home like I would at the box.  All those people there supporting you really makes a difference.  But I suppose doing something is better than doing nothing at all!

I had planned to go swim tonight.  The pool opens for laps at 8:30.  But it’s getting to be almost that time and I still need to practice my viola for my orchestra rehearsal tomorrow.  But that’s okay.  I’m glad I got my run in today.  Just getting back into a routine is going to help a lot.  It’s taking those first steps that’s always the hardest part.

All in all, I’d call today a success.